5 tips for national pet fire safety day
Meet Wilbur… Roo’s better half. Wilbur was rescued from New York City’s Center for Animal Care and Control and he’s stuck around ever since. In honor of National Pet Fire Safety Day, we’re sharing five tips from Amica Insurance to keep your four-legged friends safe in case of an emergency.
- Get a rescue alert sticker to let police and the fire department know that there are animals in the house in case no one is home when a fire starts.
- In the event of an evacuation, contact the vet or local animal shelter to arrange for a safe haven if friends or relatives cannot take your pet. Do not leave pets behind.
- Choose a designated caregiver, such as a neighbor, who can gain access to the pet while no one is home.
- Prepare emergency supplies and travel kits in case you need to evacuate the home. Make sure everyone knows where they are, and that they are clearly labeled and easy to carry.
- Make sure pets wear collars and tags with updated ID information.